07 July 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane – Neil Gaiman (Fiction)



I don’t know why I’m always surprised when Neil Gaiman’s work surprises me. I should know better than to have expectations. Yet here I am, surprised again. I was left equal parts bemused and delighted, yet slightly disturbed. This new novel for adults finds it’s protagonist finally remembering the odd evens which followed his seventh birthday. And he remembers the girl at the end of the lane whose odd reality briefly overlapped his own.

As the main character encounters his memories for the first time, we’re given an adult’s comprehension of what a child perceived. The result is a strange twist on the supposed innocence of childhood. A must read, and I must go re-read it.


Bookwyrm Rating: Meat & Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment